Thursday, December 19, 2013

On Cookie Dough

My mother never let me have cookie dough when I was a child. She was afraid that I would get sick from too much of that sweetness. As a child I would get sick a lot from different things, but seriously, I really wanted to try some cookie dough. I always heard stories about about how delectable it was, however I was stuck with the baked form of the food. Which isn’t bad obviously, but I really wanted the cookie form of it too. I haven’t been even close to forgetting that desire, and to this day, I haven’t been able to taste the sweet embracing treat that is cookie dough.

I felt like I was being tortured, always hearing about this sweet, sugary goodness that my mean mother would never let me have. When I was younger, I used to help my mom make cookies a lot, and it would get pretty frustrating, because I couldn't even get a lick of that scrumptious cookie dough. I would dream about eating it, even just getting the slightest taste of it. But any chance I thought I could get would be taken away from me. Now that I’m older, I’m able to go to the store and buy a big tub of cookie dough, but I’d have to sneak it in by my mother, who still believes that I will get sick from it.


If there’s a lesson in this, it’s that my mom has ruined my childhood. Although I did have fun memories in my childhood, such as going to disney world and having a bunch of toys, this prevention of cookie dough consumption from my mother absolutely ruins it. Every kid deserves something sweet in order not to be narcissistic about the world. When I have children, they will not be shut out from the world and will be given choices. The only thing that makes people human is from choice. They can make their own choices in where they want to go to college, or what they want to work as in the future, who they want to marry and when, and so on. Rules will obviously be placed, but in the end, my child will be free.

No comments:

Post a Comment